Tuesday 27 July 2010

Fr Hunwicke's Reproach

Subdeacon in midflight for photo call after Mass

Fr Hunwicke has posted a little reproach in his blog. I have tried to comment there, but I think he must have it ring-fenced to prevent bishops from answering him. So I must try here.

First, he says how dangerous it is to ask bishops for permission. Quite right. Unless you find the right bishop.

Then, he suggests that his liturgy alone is in proper Tudor English. But that is just how it is at Saint Michael's Croydon - not simply Tudor, but positively half-timbered and wainscotted, straight from the Book of Common Worhip - Holy Eucharist Rite I Roman Canon (Old English Translation).

I have to confess, though, that my sermon was in the vernacular. I am sure Fr Hunwicke glides happily among Thees and Thous, Wast and Dost and Shouldst. As a mere historian and no classicist I dare not venture into those waters.

But I am greatly flattered that the Master should note my blog, if only in order to reproach me.

No comments:

Post a Comment